- 2 track simultaneous recording
- Record to internal HD / DVD-RAM
- 10 second (max) pre-record
- On-board 4 channel mixer
- Flexible monitiring
PD204 DVD/HD Location Recorder
RECORDING TO 80GB HD AND 12CM DVD
The PD204 records audio to the internal (user replaceable) 1.8-inch 80GB hard disc drive (HDD) and standard-size 12cm DVD-RAM discs. In addition simultaneous recording to both media is available either by mirroring or auto-copy. Further confidence is offered with an intelligent 'background mode' which automatically copies recorded audio from the HDD to DVD when the machine is idling. The DVD drive can also write to DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW discs for easy data copy / backup.
DIGITAL MIXING AND 2-TRACK RECORDING
Following Fostex's philosophy of 'real knobs and buttons are better', recording, mixing and routing on this new recorder is an intuitive experience. No multiple button pushes and complex menus to change a level, just turn a knob. Yet don't confuse ease of use with a lack of features as the PD204 offers a multitude of mixing options and recording sophistication. The PD204 offers 2 track simultaneous recording, 4 analog inputs, 1 anlog outputs and two AES/EBU digital I/Os.
INTELLIGENT BATTERY MANAGEMENT
Battery life is perhaps one of the most important features of a location recorder and it's here these new machines really show their class. Not one, but two standard V-mounts are offered for with the user being in control of power management. Choose BATT.1, BATT.2 or External DC power. A smart function switches which battery is used when the primary source voltage falls below user-definable level.
HIGH SPEED DATA TRANSFER TO PC / MAC
When connected to a host computer via the USB 2.0 interface, the recorder can be directly mounted on the desktop for easy drag and drop data copying. Future enhancements will include the ability to use USB 2.0 flash memory pens. A standard QWERTY keyboard can also be connected for easy file name editing.
SOPHISTICATED TIMECODE FACILITIES
These being Fostex recorders, the implementation of timecode is beyond reproach with an incredible ±1ppm accuracy. That's 0.0001% accuracy for both recording and playback of IEC format timecode with Jam Sync also available. Four modes of timecode are offered: 24H RUN (sync to the internal clock); REC RUN; FREE RUN; and EXT RUN with 7 frame rates (23.97, 24, 25, 29.97ND, 29.97DF, 30ND, 30DF).
PROFESSIONAL OPERATION, RUGGED RELIABILITY
Use a PD204 in the field and you're immediately aware that Fostex know a thing or two about professional location recording. At almost every point in the acquisition process there are clues: Automatic file closing in the background every 60 seconds means fast data recovery in the event of a power outage, 10 seconds (max) of pre-record means never missing the beginning of a take, the 99 cue point memory, an Avid™ compatible EDL file (ALE) can be created and edited, a 9pin remote connector for simultaneous recording using two PD606 or PD204s, the crystal clear 16 segment LED metering, the slate tone generator with hold mode, etc., the list goes on.
The PD204 is also tough, being manufactured from ultra-durable materials specifically designed for a busy life in the field.
UP TO 24BIT / 192KHZ AUDIO
No MP3. No compression. No short cuts. No compromise. The new PD204 simply features sonically superior recording at up to 24-bit / 192kHz resolution.
- 2 track simultaneous recording
- 4 ch Analog inputs (XLR)
- 2 ch Analog outputs (XLR),
- 2 ch AES/EBU Digital I/O's (XLR)
- Recording to (user replaceable) 1.8" 80GB HDD (Model EX-HD1) and 12cm DVD-RAM
- Backup to DVD-RAM, -R and -RW disc.
- Approx. 256 min recording at 24bit/ 48kHz per 4.7GB DVD-RAM or HDD partition
- Mirror recording to HD and DVD*
- BWF file format files - easily imported into PC editing software with TC.
- 24bit audio at 44.1/ 48/ 88.2/ 96/ 176.4/ 192kHz, 16bit audio at 44.1/ 48kHz
- Digital Mixer with Analog like operation. Equipped with channel link, HPF and limiter
- 0.1% Fs pull up/down
- Auto data is backed up 60 seconds
- 10 seconds (max) of pre record to minimises the risk of missing the start of a take
- USB 2.0 interface for mounting HDD partitions as well as DVD-RAM contents on PC desktop
- Two battery V-Mounts (up to 4 cells mounted)
- AUX input for headphone monitoring of audio from a camcorder
- 9 pin remote port enabling connection of a 2nd PD606 or PD204 for simultaneous recording†
- Fully functional SMPTE Timecode generator with jam sync to external TC, VIDEO, Tri-Level and WORD sync available
DVD-RAM Recording times
Click here for a chart outlining available recording times at various frequencies when using a DV40 or PD-6.
BWF Manager' is a software utility application, (available in both Windows and Mac versions), that enables the user to analyze a selected BWF poly format file and create individual BWF mono files for each track of the poly format file.
BWF Manager is a FREE download from Fostex. Click here to go to the download page.